Friday, March 12, 2010

Required Reading #1

I've been meaning to post on this for a while, but haven't because I feel like I need a full, formal article to do the subject justice. However, I will probably never be satisfied with anything I write, so I might as just write something.

Caregiving is hard. Dealing with death and dying is harder. How best to handle these challenges? Personally, I find refuge and solace in reading about other people's experiences. I've been fortunate to come across a few books that have helped me immensely, and I heartily recommend them to you.

I am planning to do some mini-reviews on the books I've found the most helpful, so look for those in posts to come. For now, I'm going to be lazy and provide a list. Also, I'm always on the lookout for new books that might help us on our caregiving journey, so if you know of any, please contact me.

Anyway, here's a list of the few I've had the most luck with thus far:

1. Tuesdays With Morrie: An Old Man, A Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson
I'm sure this book has been on every single required reading list ever written. There's a reason. It's amazing.

2. Living Our Dying
Written by Joseph Sharp, a hospital chaplain who was diagnosed with AIDs. This book is almost a how-to manual for dealing with terminal illness, death, and the dying process. It is truly a must-have, but it isn't exactly fun or light. Sharp includes mindfulness exercises that include imagining your own death...in detail. Sounds scary, but it is enlightening beyond words.

3. Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
An unorthodox selection, perhaps...and one I read a long time ago. Stilll, I've been thinking about it so much lately that I think it's worth including.

4. The Pharmacist's Mate
Recommended a few years ago by a friend, I finally got around to reading it not long ago. I am very glad I did. The author writes about her experience with the death of her father...and about her experience with artificial insemination. Life, birth, family, guns...it's all here.

5. Chicken Soup for the Caregiver's Soul
It should be pretty obvious why this is included. I don't care how sappy it sounds. This book is a necessity for every caregiver's library.

1 comment:

  1. I have tried to post to your site. Could you let me know if you get this message? Gus

    ReplyDelete