Sunday, March 14, 2010

Required Watching #1



The Fountain

This is my favorite movie, really. Conveniently for my blog, it also deals with some weighty subjects. However, unlike most movies, The Fountain has without a doubt the most intense visual account of death--from the dying person's perspective--that I have ever seen. I couldn't even attempt to do it justice, so go rent it already.

Seriously, though...there's something about this movie. I sincerely feel, from the bottom of my heart, that there is truth within it. Every time I see it, my heart leaps up into my throat and I swear I'm on the verge of having a religious experience. I feel, every time, like I'm witnessing something Real. At first I thought it was just an emotional response to the beauty of it all, but something inside me really believes that death is actually like what is portrayed in this movie.

And it's distressingly beautiful.

It may confuse and confound you because it's very open-ended and nonlinear, but it's worth it. It can be taken many different ways and it may mean something else to you than it did to me...it's very much open to interpretation. Rachel Weiz and Hugh Jackman are at the top of their game, too. Darren Aronofsky (Pi, Requiem For A Dream, The Wrestler) directs...and...does an amazing job.

Also, it does a very good job dealing with how most people deny death and treat it as a disease, something to be cured. My father is very much that way, so its account of that denial hits close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment